Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recycled Crayons

I had a ton of old crayons that were broken into tiny bits.  Too tiny and old for my students to want to use them to color their artwork.  I had seen some tutorials on some blogs and my friend Casey had also done this project; so I decided to give it a try!

All you have to do is:



  1. Collect some silicone ice trays (I got all of mine at the dollar tree) 
  2. Remove all paper wrappers from crayons (this part is tedious and boring)
  3. Break crayons into small, manageable pieces that will easily fit into the trays
  4. Fill the trays to the top with crayon pieces, be creative...mix the colors up!
  5. Place in a 200 degree oven
  6. Check to see if they are all melted in about 5-10 minutes
  7. Carefuly remove trays from oven, set aside to let crayons cool down (I had a little fun creating a marble effect in the hot crayons with a toothpick!)
  8. After about 15 mninutes, pop crayons out of trays (don't wait to long because they will be too hard to get out)
  9. COLOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment