Friday, February 17, 2012

Recycled Bottle Top Mosaics

How cool are these?!!?!  I have been patiently waiting to do this project for over a year now.  I hadn't had enough soda, juice, and water bottle tops turned in until recently.  I have asked parents and students to collect them and turn them in.  I have been collecting them like a mad woman in my own kitchen as well. After I get them turned in, I organize them based on color into different boxes.

This lesson was taught to my "art enrichment" students.  It is comprised of only 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.  We discussed what the different types of "fine arts" included.  Then we talked about what the word "advocate" meant.  We talked about the importance of spreading the word of how important the arts are!

 
 To start, students looked at examples of drama faces, paint pallettes, and guitars and music notes.  Then, they sketched out their own versions of the images onto large scale foam boards.  Next, the painted the images in with acrylic paint.  After that, they laid out bottle caps on top of the paint; making sure to coordinate alike colors.  Finally, we glued each bottle cap down to complete our recycled mosaics!


No comments:

Post a Comment